I got a new iPod. Silver, lovely 160GB. And it’s finally time to retire my old one.
I was very late to the iPod. Checking my memory, I think I bought a girlfriend an iPod before I ever got one for myself. I got one just over two years ago. I’m trying to remember how I would listen to music before then. I basically carried around 20 or so CDs with me everywhere I went.
Needless to say, I’m not going back.
I like how the iPod can track what you’ve listened to over the years. It’s a pretty interesting snapshot of my listening habits.
Here are some interesting* statistics
Number of songs on it – 11,390.
That’s a hell of a lot. And I had to start culling when I ran out of room a year ago.
Number of plays since August 2005 – 54,897
Again, not counting tracks that I have since deleted off the ipod, and of course, listening to CDs and stuff which I still do.
It’s pretty much dead on two years that I’ve had this iPod so check this shit out:
Average number of songs played a day in the last two years – 75
Number of songs that have ZERO plays – 742
These are songs that have sat on the iPod that I just never got to. Or kept skipping. Poor ‘Sunday Girl’ by Blondie was added to my iPod on 16th August 2005, and has still not been able to get one little play out of me. Nothing. It’s only 3:06 long. Still, no love. Sorry Debbie.
Top Twenty Songs
Pretty easy this one. The songs that got the most plays in the last two years.
1. Romeo and Juliet – Dire Straits (42)
2. Fluorescent Adolescent – Arctic Monkeys (41)
3. Sentimental Guy – Ben Folds (41)
4. Thunder Road – Bruce Springsteen (41)
5. Don’t You Think It’s Time – Bob Evans (40)
6. Girl Sailor – The Shins (40)
7. Phantom Limb – The Shins (39)
8. Turn On Me – The Shins (38)
9. Time – Ben Folds (37)
10. Rattlesnakes – Lloyd Cole And the Commotions (37)
11. Teddy Picker – Arctic Monkeys (36)
12. Sadness & Whiskey – Bob Evans (36)
13. Read My Mind – The Killers (35)
14. No Quick Fix – Nada Surf (35)
15. Sleeping Lessons – The Shins (34)
16. Let It Go – Youth Group (33)
17. Get Me Away From Here, I’m Dying – Belle And Sebastian (32)
18. Don’t Change Your Plans – Ben Folds Five (32)
19. Hey Julie – Fountains Of Wayne (32)
20. Mystifies Me – Son Volt (32)
Good to see how much new music is there. I’m not still listening to Big Star and Gram Parsons.
And I totally love every single one of those songs. Especially Romeo And Juliet. And Thunder Road. Corner me somewhere and ask me about those songs. And be ready to lose several hours of your life.
So I have my new iPod now. I’m putting the old girl away. I’m trying to think, and it’s the only thing I’ve carried with me every day for he last two years (I changed wallets this year).
It will be interesting* to see what happens in another two years.
* any claims of anything interesting is ambitious at best.